A data extension is a table within the application database that contains data. Use Data Extensions to have access to custom subscriber attributes. This could be t-shirt size or attributes like city, country, zipcode for use in filtering, reporting, email dynamic content, or subscriptions.
What is a Data Extension?
What is the difference between a Data Extension and a Subscriber List?
Use a List When...
- your lists will contain 500,000 subscribers or less long-term
- you prefer simplicity over performance
- you do not require fast import speed
- you plan to use a limited number of subscriber attributes, (the options are first name, last name and email address.)
Use a Data Extension When...
- your lists are going to be greater than 500,000 subscribers
- you support multiple subscriber data sets (with separate definitions)
- you send global messages
- you require fast import speeds
- you implement triggered sends
- you prefer a flexible subscription model