Import a list into a data extension in Salesforce Marketing Cloud
Before you can import a file, you need to create a data extension and also the import file. Your import file must contain a header row and at least one row of data; it should also be a comma-, tab-, or other character-delimited file.
Navigate to, and select .
- In the list of data extensions, click the name of the data extension into which you want to import data. The data extension will open.
- Click the
- Click to open the Import Wizard.
- In the "Upload File" step, under "File location", select
. Click and select your previously created data file. Ensure that the file format is
- Select a delimiter, which is typically either or . For , you will need a one-character delimiter.
- For "Import type", you can select from the following:
- Add and update: If the import file contains records with a primary key that already exists in the data extension, it updates the record to match what is in the import file.
- Add only: The import creates new records for primary keys that do not already exist in the data extension and ignores records whose primary keys already exist.
- Update Only: If the import file contains records with a primary key that already exists in the data extension, the import updates the record.
- Overwrite: The import overwrites all records.
- For "Import Options", select one of the following:
- Skip rows with bad data
- Respect double quotes as a text qualifier: If you select this, the system treats double quotes as a text delimiter. If you do not select this, the system ignores double quotes in your file.
- In the "Configure Mapping" step, map your column headers from your import file to your Data Extension column:
- Map by Header Row: The import will update the columns in the data extension with the information in the import file by matching the column headings.
- Map by Ordinal: The import will update the first column in the data extension with the first column in the import file, the second column with the second column, and so on.
- Map Manually: The import file columns that directly match a data extension column are mapped automatically.
- In the "Review and Import" step, review the summary of your import selections.
- If you want to be notified when the upload completes, under "Notifications", enter your email address.
- Click . You will receive a confirmation message that the import has started.
- When your import is complete, you can view your data. To display your imported records, navigate to > and click the data extension into which you imported your file.